Wisdom teeth: a subject that normally generates some anguish in us mainly when they are coming out, because they can cause pain, inflammation if they get obstacles in their way, but hand in hand of a Maxillofacial Surgeon , you can solve it quickly and comfortably
Asiri, as a Trusted Dental Center In this article we will guide you on this issue so that you can understand it and solve it smoothly.
And if you need to extract your wisdom teeth in Quito, Ecuador; we can also help you.
Table of Content
- Due to the evolution of the human being (having a smaller jaw) it is highly probable that wisdom teeth will have to be extracted.
- When wisdom teeth are coming out or trying to come out, they generate many related discomforts such as pain.
- And if they do come in, it is very likely that they will come out in a bad position, which generates problems such as cavities, crowding and more pain.
- The most sensible thing to do is to have a panoramic x-ray from the age of 18 so that your dentist can evaluate and give you his or her recommendations.
- The earlier you do it, the smaller the wisdom teeth roots will be and the more comfortable the extraction will be.
- Ideally, the extraction should be performed by a dentist who specializes in surgery.
What are the Wisdom Teeth ?
That is the common name by which third molars are known, that is, a wisdom tooth is that tooth that comes out (or erupts) in the most posterior part of our dental arch both on the left and right side.
In total there are 4 molars: two in the upper arch and two in the lower one
Estimated age of eruption is from 18 to 25 years , for this reason it is popularly said when reaching the age of majority, the trial stage is entered or be sane (wisdom), hence their names.
Wisdom Teeth: The Problem
The issue with these molars is that due to the evolution of our human species, our jaw has become smaller or shorter than that of our hominid ancestors.
Despite this evolutionary detail the wisdom teeth continue to form in most of us, but now with less room to get out , although sometimes they do so without any problem.
In most cases, this lack of space presents obstacles that totally or partially prevent the third molar from coming out or erupting. This causes the tooth to stay included (never come out) or be impacted with some bone structure or the neighboring tooth that deflects it, tilts and gets stuck
Many times this shock causes the wisdom teeth to be horizontal
Wisdom Teeth Symptoms
When wisdom teeth have problems erupting, they may present:
- Intense acute pain local that can radiate to areas of the face, ear and head
- Local intense acute pain that can be reflected to other areas
- pain in the face
- Difficulty opening the mouth
- Inflammation of the gum
- Caries own or in neighboring teeth (due to the difficulty for a correct brushing)
Problems if we do not Pay Attention to the Wisdom Teeth
In some cases, the pain may subside spontaneously or never appear , however there may still be problems that if we do not attend to, they can be very serious, such as:
- Loss of bone of the maxilla
- Crowding mainly in anterior teeth
- Bite problems
- Occlusal interferences: collision when chewing between a lower tooth with its corresponding upper tooth, killing the nerve of one or both.
- Periodontal Disease 
The Smart Decision
Surely you are wondering what should I do?
The best thing is, regardless of whether they have caused a problem or not , assess the condition of your wisdom teeth, to assess whether or not it is necessary to extract them.
This is done with a panoramic X-ray like the one shown below:
If you need to take a panoramic X-ray, just tell us and we can help you.
With this X-ray at the Asiri Dental Care Center in Quito we can Evaluate your case with your Trusted Dentist
This X-ray should be evaluated by a Maxiolofacial Surgeon who will give you your diagnosis and the next steps to follow.
If you need to extract wisdom teeth in Quito
At Asiri Dental Center , we can help you with your extraction of the wisdom teeth in Quito
We can make a correct diagnosis and if it is necessary to do the extraction of wisdom teeth in Quito with a Maxillofacial Surgeon following the dental postsurgical indications
Only a Maxillofacial Surgeon has the studies and experience to extract teeth that are in difficult or compromising positions, as well that you should be very careful when choosing your trusted Dentist in Quito for this procedure.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction surgery
Once your case has been evaluated and the surgery procedure planned, the necessary third molars will be extracted
Normally the 4 wisdom teeth are usually extracted together, so that it is a single rest that you must follow
You must also consider and evaluate aspects of Biosecurity of your dentist to avoid infections in the procedure
If stitches were placed, they are removed after a week
Recovery from Wisdom Teeth Extraction
The extraction of wisdom teeth is an outpatient procedure, that is, it is done in the dental office and once it is finished, you go home.
After the extraction of the third molars, you must rest at home, which normally takes about three days.
You must follow all the post-surgical indications to achieve a faster and more satisfactory recovery.
Possible complications may arise after extraction
Complications after wisdom teeth extraction are rare, but can include infection, excessive bleeding, prolonged pain, or nerve damage.
Like everything related to our health, prevention is the key to avoiding medical or dental complications.
With a simple panoramic X-ray we will have a clear idea of the condition of your third molars and we will indicate whether or not it is necessary to carry out any treatment.
Neglecting wisdom teeth because they don’t hurt or because the pain has passed is an omission that can be very costly
|1.||Smart, G. Third molars may have a negative impact on periodontal health. Evid Based Dent 6, 95 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ebd.6400339|