Your smile is often the first thing people notice about you, so it’s important to take good care of it. One of the most essential aspects to maintain healthy teeth and gums is dental cleaning.
If you really want to have oral health for life, the carefull removal of tartar and dental calculus the teeth cleaning is the main Prevention in Dentistry that you must do on a regular basis.
It turns out that there are bacteria that survive in the mouth despite tooth brushing and that form layers that are more difficult to remove and that are the ones that generate, among other diseases, tooth decay, gingivitis and periodontitis.
Hence the importance of periodically removing them through equipment, instruments and materials that your trusted dentist in Quito has .
In this article we will explain the steps that must be taken so that dental prophylaxis in Quito is complete and safe.
Table of Content
- Teeth Cleaning is a preventative treatment that helps prevent tooth decay, periodontal disease, and other oral problems.
- Its main benefit is that it prevents the appearance of cavities and other much more serious oral diseases.
- In order to be effective, dental prophylaxis must be performed periodically according to your case (between 3 and 6 months).
- Dental prophylaxis is different from scaling and root planing which is a deeper procedure and is indicated to control periodontal disease.
What is Teeth Cleaning?
Prophylaxis or teeth cleaning is really a series of dental procedures that aim to remove all kinds of impurities that can be kept in the mouth beyond brushing teeth. AKA: Dental Cleaning
This treatment involves the removal of plaque, tartar, and stains from the teeth and can be performed by a dentist or dental hygienist. Dental prophylaxis is an important part of oral hygiene and helps maintain a healthy and beautiful smile.
These impurities can be stains or accumulations of bacteria that have 2 possible presentations:
- Bacterial Plaque : soft layer of bacteria and food debris. Dental plaque is normally removed by brushing. But if brushing is poor and the plaque is not removed in time, this layer hardens, forming the dental calculus.
- Calculus, tartar, stone or dental tartar: harder layer due to the mineralization of the plaque. It is very well adhered to the teeth and can even go under the gums. The calculus can be removed with utrasonic equipment or manually with special instruments.
Based on our values, our experience and our love for details, the Asiri Dental Center, we have redesigned the concept of dental cleaning extending its scope.
Our prophylaxis has the added value of executing a dental evaluation that will surprise you and whose details you will find later.
Benefits of our Dental Cleaning.
The benefit of our dental prophylaxis is to have a proactive, complete, honest and responsible dental prevention in the following terms:
- Prevents the appearance of cavities in children and adult.
- Prevention of periodontal diseases (gingivitis, periodontitis)
- Improves Breath
- Improves dental aesthetics
- Maintenance of previous dental treatments such as scaling and root planing
- Complete verification of the state of oral health in general.
- Complete dental record
When is a Dental Cleaning Necessary?
Dental prophylaxis is generally recommended every six months, but may be more frequent for those with certain oral conditions.
If your dentist or dental hygienist notices any signs of periodontal disease or tooth decay during a visit, they may recommend dental prophylaxis.
Also, if you have increased plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth, you may need more frequent dental prophylaxis.
What our Dental Cleaning Includes
Below we describe the steps or stages that are executed in our dental prophylaxis.
Phase 1: Detailed Assessment of Your Dental Health Status
We start with our great added value , we include you in a dental prophylaxis, everything we do in a dental health assessment or as it is technically called, a stomatognathic examination:
- Dental Record: If you do not have it, we will create your dental record, the document where your dental health status is recorded. And if you have it, it is updated.
- Oral Cancer Screening: It is an inspection of your mouth in a detailed search for signs of oral cancer.
- Periodontal Probing: With a special instrument, the health of your gums and tissues around all teeth is measured.
- Odontogram: Each of your teeth The presence or absence of cavities as well as fillings (resins or amalgams) in good or bad condition is explored in detail and registered in a special diagram.
- Dental Mobility Assessment: Yes Some of your teeth move, it is a sign that you are at risk of falling out, so we verify this condition to attack it promptly.
- Gingival Recession : The recession is the loss of gum at the level of the neck of the teeth, its existence generates sensitivity in your teeth due to its exposed neck, and over time causes bone loss, mobility and tooth loss.
- General examination of your mouth: The lips, cheeks, tongue, floor of the tongue, palate, maxillae, lymph nodes, and the jaw joint (TMJ: Temporomandibular Joint) are explored
- Education in oral hygiene instructions.
Phase 2: Ultrasonic Teeth Cleaning
With a cleaning equipment that vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies, known as a cavitron, we easily and comfortably remove all dental calculus or stone that may have adhered to your teeth
This phase is the one that you normally find in any dental clinic as deep teeth cleaning.
It is very important at this point to indicate that the sterilization of the cavitron or ultrasound tip must be 100% sterile
Phase 3: Cleaning in hard-to-reach Areas
Using dental floss or floss, we clean the dental plaque that you may have in the most recondite spaces , by generating it between the teeth
Phase 4: Cleaning and Polishing with Brush and Prophy Paste
With a brush installed on a rotating instrument, all surfaces are cleaned with the help of a special prophylaxis paste that polishes and removes stains .
Phase 5: Topification with Fluoride
Another added value to our prophylaxis , we provide the necessary fluoride to help the remineralization of your teeth only in cases when needed . You will spend a few minutes with all your teeth impregnated in a fluoride gel and your teeth will be like new.
It has been scientifically proven that the professional application of fluoride is effective in preventing dental caries in both children and adults 
Cost of Teeth Cleaning in Quito, Ecuador
The cost of dental cleaning can vary depending on several factors. Here are some important considerations about the cost of dental prophylaxis:
- Geographic Location: The cost of dental prophylaxis may vary depending on geographic location. In some areas, prices may be higher due to the higher cost of living. It is important to research local prices and compare different dental offices before making a decision.
- Dentist’s experience and qualifications: The cost of dental prophylaxis can also be affected by the dentist’s experience and qualifications. More experienced and highly qualified dentists typically charge higher rates due to their experience and specialized knowledge. However, you can also find more affordable dentists who provide excellent service.
- Individual dental needs: The cost of dental prophylaxis can also vary depending on your individual dental needs. If you have more severe plaque and tartar buildup, you may need more extensive treatment, which could increase the cost. Additionally, if additional dental problems are detected during dental prophylaxis, you may need additional treatments that will also cost extra. It is important to note that although the cost of dental prophylaxis may seem high in the short term
Investing in this procedure can save you money in the long term by preventing serious dental problems. Consider the cost as an investment in your oral and general health.
As a reference price for a prophylaxis or dental cleaning in Quito, Ecuador you can count on $35-$45. Likewise, this may vary according to the aforementioned points.
Tips for Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene After Teeth Cleaning
After undergoing dental prophylaxis, it is important to continue to take good care of your teeth and gums to maintain a healthy mouth.
Some tips for maintaining good oral hygiene after dental prophylaxis include brushing your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, flossing daily, avoiding sugary foods and drinks, and visiting your dentist regularly for dental checkups and prophylaxis.
In the following article you have much more detailed information: Dental Hygiene
Dental Prophylaxis vs. Scaling and Root Planing
Dental cleaning and scaling and root planing are two different treatments that are performed in the dental office.
First is a preventative treatment that helps prevent tooth decay, periodontal disease, and other oral problems.
Scaling and root planing, on the other hand, is a treatment for periodontal disease that involves the removal of plaque and tartar below the gum line.
If your dentist determines that you have periodontal disease, they may recommend scaling and root planing instead of dental prophylaxis.
FAQs about Teeth Cleaning
Will I feel pain during dental cleaning?
No. Some patients may feel a little cold or tender in some areas, others not even that.
How often do I have to do a teeth cleaning?
We recommend that you visit us every 6 months for your complete dental hygiene, that is, 2 times a year.
If you are susceptible to generating a lot of plaque or stone, this period can be shortened to every 3 months.
Is the “dripping device” used?
Yes. Ultrasound or cavitron is used. This device drips water and destroys the stone more easily with its vibration. The water is to cool it and in turn clean your teeth more.
Will I bleed?
Only those with swollen gums bleed a little. Just like when you brush your teeth.
How long does a dental cleaning last?
Our prophylaxis is not just a cleaning, it is a preventive package that we take very seriously, which is why it lasts about an hour.
Can I eat after dental cleaning?
In a normal cleaning yes, but since we do a topification with fluoride, you must wait at least an hour to eat.
What if I have dental calculus below the gum?
This is already a sign of periodontal disease that must be attacked quickly through a scaling and root planing, which is a meticulous internal cleaning process carried out by our periodontists in Quito.
When should I do teeth cleaning in children?
In young children, prophylaxis is indicated by the pediatric dentist in his check-ups when he determines it is necessary.
From adolescence, if it is already treated with the same frequency as adults: every 6 months or twice a year.
If I wear orthodontics, when should I have my teeth cleaned?
Before any orthodontics, a sanitation stage is necessary, which includes, among other things, dental prophylaxis.
After orthodontics is installed, it should be done every 3 to 6 months
When removing the orthodontics, it is also closed with a prophylaxis and of course its retainers.
How much does dental prophylaxis cost?
The cost of dental prophylaxis can vary depending on your location and your dental clinic. It’s important to talk to your dentist about costs before making an appointment.
Teeth Cleaning is an essential preventive treatment to maintain healthy teeth and gums and a beautiful smile.
Our dental prophylaxis guarantees you more than cleaning, it is a package of preventive actions and early detection that you will not get in other clinics.
We give you very important added values because our focus is your happiness, your health and we know that prevention is the key to this.
If you haven’t had dental prophylaxis in Quito yet, talk to your dentist about making an appointment. Your smile will thank you.
|Hawkins, R., Locker, D., Noble, J. et al. Prevention. Part 7: Professionally applied topical fluorides for caries prevention. Br Dent J 195, 313–317 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4810527
|l-Ansari, A. Is professionally applied fluoride effective in preventing or arresting caries in older adults?. Evid Based Dent 23 [Internet], 138–139 (2022). Available at https://doi.org/10.1038/s41432-022-0841-y
Our Foundress and guardian of our Values
Dr. Krisna makes sure that the treatment you receive is successful by contrasting opinions between all the doctors that are necessary and ensuring a neat execution of all the processes.
More about Dr. Krisna Casal