Following the post-surgical indications recommended by your oral surgeon is a key factor in success of any oral surgery.
Below we give you, as a reference, a general list of indications.
We do not pretend to be a guide of what you need, the definitive indications must always be given by the doctor who performed the treatment.
General Dental Post-surgical Indications
The instructions that you will receive are aimed at achieving a recovery in the shortest possible time, relieving discomfort and helping the healing processes.
In general you must:
- Keep rest
- Mitigate pain and inflammation
- Prevent infections
- Take actions that promote healing by maintaining the suture and the clot ( which is the body’s reaction to stop bleeding).
To promote healing and protect the clot
- If gauze was left to press on the surgery site, keep it bitten for at least 45 minutes. This will allow the formation of the clot and the start of the healing process.
- Avoid creating pressure in the mouth by using straws, blowing or kissing.
- Do not chew in the surgical area or exert forces on it.
- Avoid exposure to heat: hot foods, sun, cooking, hair dryer, saunas etc.
- Do not spit the blood, you can throw the clot away. Try not to rinse vigorously.
- Your head must be kept elevated during the first 24 hours, that is, you cannot bend down and lower your head, this can increase the pressure in the surgery area and cause bleeding
- Avoid exercise or physical effort
For inflammation and pain
- Cold-Heat Therapy during the first 24 hours, after which warm compresses are applied.
- Take the prescribed medications.
Of the suture
- If you have a suture, make sure the stitches are always there. If you feel that one of them fell, notify your doctor immediately.
From the diet
- Eat a soft diet, initially cold, avoid hot foods or beverages.
- Do not consume dairy, grains, rice, seeds, spicy, acidic or salty or alcoholic beverages.
Maintain oral hygiene but brushing very carefully in the affected area.
Maybe they will prescribe you some antimicrobial rinse .